Kurhaus hotel - 100 years of spa tradition
Following the discovery of radon therapy in 1904, Bad Kreuznach became internationally renowned and the spa business began to boom. This led to the old spa hotel of 1843 being replaced in 1913 by a magnificent hotel complex with four wings. The new hotel was designed by Emanuel von Seidl and inspired by baroque palace architecture like the Würzburg Residence. The hotel looks particularly impressive when viewed from the Kurpark gardens. A row of pillars accentuates the central pavilion. Today, the Kurhaus is still the town’s largest hotel with 125 rooms and suites. International spa business and tourism are not the only aspects of its past, the Kurhaus hotel has also been the scene of historic events. In 1917, it was home to the headquarters of the German General Staff. The Atatürk Salon commemorates a visit to William II by the man who later founded the state of Turkey. In 1958, Charles de Gaulle and Konrad Adenauer met in the Kurhaus to pave the way for Franco-German friendship. In 1982, it provided the setting for a state visit between the French president François Mitterand and the German chancellor Helmut Kohl. German chancellor Angela Merkel has also visited the Kurhaus hotel several times.