Eiermarkt square - centre of the historical quarter
For centuries, the romantic Eiermarkt square formed the centre of the New Town. The square is surrounded by Nikolauskirche church, half-timbered houses, and the medieval butcher’s quarter with its narrow alleys.The Eiermarkt was where the market for fruit, fish and earthenware was held. No other square in the town has such historical flair.
In the middle of the square, there is a sculpture which depicts the Kreuznach butcher Michel Mort saving the Count of Sponheim (ruler of the town) in the Battle of Sprendlingen in 1279. The sculpture was created by Robert Cauer in 1902. He belonged to the successful Cauer sculpting dynasty, members of which pursued their profession as sculptors of international renown for over 200 years in Bad Kreuznach, and who had their own ateliers in various European cities.