Schloßpark museum: history, art and more
The Schloßpark museum houses collections of the town's past and art history as well as exhibitions of contemporary art.
One focus of the collection is the history of the Bangert manor estate itself and this shows its transition from a free aristocratic manor estate to a prestigious palace of the upper bourgeoisie around the turn of the century. The portrayal of 19th-century Kreuznach when it was one of the leading spas is a further aspect of the town’s history.
The sculptures by the Cauers, a Bad Kreuznach family of sculptors, are a particular highlight. Starting with the Biedermeier style depictions of Emil Cauer the Elder (1800–1867), the Schloßpark museum’s collection spans the artistic creations of the following Cauer generations and shows the variety of artistic areas they engaged in: small genre sculptures, portrait busts, funerary sculptures, monuments in public spaces, and art in architecture.
A collection of drawings, watercolours and paintings with views of the town and the region from the 19th and early 20th centuries allows a glimpse of the old Kreuznach and the beauty of the regional landscape.
The collection of glass artist Ida Paulin, who lived in Bad Münster for a long time, is a special attraction.
Weddings in the hunting room of the Schloßpark museum
The Schloßpark museum was built by Andreas von Recum in 1776, in Napoleon’s time, and acquired by the industrialist Puricelli at the end of the 19th century. Among other things, this family extended the castle by adding a hunting room suffused with light and with a view of the palace pond. The wood-panelled room with a cabinet for hunting weapons and a built-in vault was designed for the Puricelli family by an interior designer of the “fairy-tale king” Ludwig II. of Bavaria at the end of the 19th century. It has been preserved authentically and is used as one of the town’s wedding rooms.